Sunday, December 14, 2008

Essential vs. ridiculous

After the tea my church group had last week, I decided I would start drinking a little hot tea this winter. The bottom drawer of one of my cabinets is the catch all for infrequently used items. Well, I didn't find a tea ball but I did find these 2 gems. The top item is a server for square dips of ice cream. Want to guess how many square dips I've ever served? Yes, zero would be the right answer. This scoop was purchased in a weak moment of nostalgia at Sur La Table. The drugstore in my dad's hometown made square dips and when I saw this I shed a few tears and "scooped" it up. The other piece of equipment is an asparagus peeler. Probably you didn't know there was such a utensil. Neither did I until I found it at a thrift store. It's little box is I think printed in Swedish or one of those languages with the line through the letter o. Think I'll get rid of these worthless objects? Not on your life. As soon as I do I'll open a Martha Stewart magazine with a wonderful recipe that starts: 1lb. peeled asparagus


However, a day does not go by that I don't use these 2 utensils and often multiple times. The mini spatula came from WalMart for about 3 bucks and the knife was a TJMaxx find. I think for a cheap little knife, this nears perfection.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

auntie m said...

I've never seen a square dip of ice cream or a square ice cream scoop but now I might have to have one.

Miss Linder said...

Can I put my rolling pin and cherry pit remover in your drawer for safe keeping.

shy_smiley said...

I laughed out loud. At Christmas this year we can scoop enough squares to make an edible igloo, and decorate it all 'round with peeled asparagus. Yum!

Anonymous said...

LOL - think i'll have to get a square ice cream scoop!