Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sweet Land of Lincoln

When I was a girl growing up in Illinois, this was my favorite house, and I still kind of like it. It is located in the tiny little blip on the map known as Sweetwater, Illinois. There is a fairly deep porch that wraps around at least 3 entire sides of the house. I used to imagine how wonderful it would be to spend rainy days in a big swing out on this porch.
This is the Menard County Court House. I came here with our friend Bert when I was 16 years old for my first driver's license.
Our family spent many pleasant Sundays picnicking at New Salem State Park and going through the log homes and businesses. There used to be a Conestoga wagon and team of oxen that meandered through the village. No matter how many times we went through the village, we always wanted to do it again.
The road into the park is canopied by geenery. After 15 years back in the desert, this is just heavenly to see. And yes the humidity is dreadful although this particular day was cool. We had a very pleasant drive on mom's birthday afternoon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

auntie m said...

Been waiting for you to post some pics. I need to do the same.