Saturday, November 08, 2008

Things I made

Today is my sister's birthday and I always like to give her something "made with loving hands at home" because she is always so complimentary of my things and just because I like to create things. A couple of years ago when Mona and I made a joint trip to Illinois to see our mom, I bought this delightful book. It gives patterns and directions for all kinds of little gift holders. Some are so precious they can actually be the gift.









I made this cicada for Mona in prints of yellow with the intent of her hanging it in her hall bathroom.



















A necklace and earrings to match a shirt from Chico's and a somewhat unusual necklace with a little raison d'etre. Mona has collected lustreware for years which is Japanese dishes and decorative accessories with an irridescent finish usually in shades of blue and tan. Mom and I have given her many varied and unusual objects. When I found these quirky square beads, I knew this would have to be the "lustreware" necklace so whether Mona actually wears it or it is just a whimsical display piece, it was fun to make.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

auntie m said...

As the grateful recipient of these gifts I wish to confirm that they are just as spectular as they appear in the very artistic photos. The cicada has the most wonderful eyes and does match my bathroom. No wonder I like the sguare necklace so much. It does look like lustreware plus the design is so intriguing. And what can I say about the top and jewelry that the photo does not show? Thanks, mama dee.

shy_smiley said...

Mama D. You. Are. Amazing.